You’ve probably heard of stronghold vs swing regions. While these two classifiers present somewhat of a binary choice, the reality of how people vote in a region is a bit more nuanced. To that end, we are launching a brand new index that ranks how competitive Presidential elections are in a given region.
At a glance:
- One of the pitfalls of the popular ‘stronghold’ vs ’swing’ region is its inability to capture how regions are trending over time.
- Our competitiveness index enables us to measure overtime whether a region is becoming a stronghold of a specific party or if it’s becoming more of a swing region.
- The index assigns a rating from 0 to 100.
- The lower the rating, the less competitive (aka stronghold) a region is. Conversely, a high rating in the 90s generally point to a solid swing region.
- The least competitive region in our Index is the Volta Region, with a rating of 20 out of 100.
- The most competitive region is Greater Accra with a rating of 98.5 out of 100.
- Click here to see the full set of ratings for all 16 regions
Want the latest forecast and analysis? Get it in your inbox
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get fresh new content delivered to your inbox daily.