You’ve probably heard of stronghold vs swing regions. While these two classifiers present somewhat of a binary choice, the reality of how people vote in a region is a bit more nuanced. To that end, we are launching a brand new index that ranks how competitive Presidential elections are in a given region.
At a glance:
- One of the pitfalls of the popular ‘stronghold’ vs ’swing’ region is its inability to capture how regions are trending over time.
- Our competitiveness index enables us to measure overtime whether a region is becoming a stronghold of a specific party or if it’s becoming more of a swing region.
- The index assigns a rating from 0 to 100.
- The lower the rating, the less competitive (aka stronghold) a region is. Conversely, a high rating in the 90s generally point to a solid swing region.
- The least competitive region in our Index is the Volta Region, with a rating of 20 out of 100.
- The most competitive region is Greater Accra with a rating of 98.5 out of 100.
- Click here to see the full set of ratings for all 16 regions