More than any other region in Ghana, the Greater Accra Region has the largest impact on the outcome of our Presidential elections.
- It is one of the 2 most populous regions in Ghana (the other one is the Ashanti Region)
- It is decidedly a swing region, with our regional partisan lean giving it a -2 for NDC and -2.23 for NPP, making it the most competitive region in the country.
- So why is Accra such a swing region? On the surface, neither party has been a able to successfully dominate elections in the region
- The NPP won the region in 2000, 2004 and 2016, while NDC won the region in 1996, 2008 and 2012 – a perfect correlation with the outcome of the national vote
- Digging deeper into the constituency data, we see an interesting trend: a majority of constituencies in the region are swing constituencies themselves. More on this in part 2.