When we look at the distribution of cases in West Africa, one of the peculiar things that stands out is the relatively high incidence of the virus in Ghana.
- As of writing, there are about 25,728 cases of the outbreak in West Africa.
- Ghana currently has 6,096 of those cases – the second highest in absolute numbers after Nigeria.
- That’s 23.7% of all the confirmed cases in West Africa; a relatively high number when you consider Ghana’s population to be only 7.7% of West Africa’s total.
- At roughly 3x the share of our population, we lead the sub-region in the number of cases per capita.
- A similar trend is observed when we cast our net wider to look at all of Africa.
- 6.6% of all cases in Africa are in Ghana. But only 2.5% of Africa’s population lives in Ghana!